Originally Posted By: Hacksaw
If you work, you'll last less. Once your body goes into a 'fasting' mode (a week to 10 days) you no longer feel hunger. Your body changes and feeds on itself.

"Your body feeds on itself." That hardly seems like something that would increase one's chances of survival.

It seems to me that one who has eaten has a better chance of survival than one who is starving. Maybe the starvation in the 40 day period wouldn't be what directly caused an injury or death, but it is potentially a contributing factor.

I wonder if anyone here can provide a link to either studies or stories of survival and the role food played.

Anecdotally, I've gotten so cold in a non survival situation that I couldn't sleep and was miserable. I got up, ate something, warmed right back up, and slept soundly. It's hard to believe that food doesn't play a significant role in survival.

The knowledge that people can last somewhere in the neighborhood of 40 days w/o food does however seem like it might help the informed from giving up hope.

Lastly, while I definitely would not place food first on my list of survival priorities, I think it's a mistake to discount it.