The problem I've had with Bear from the beginning, before his "outing" in the media, is that, first, a lot of what he's modeling to kids is poor survival practice and, second, some of it down right dangerous. Yes, he has some good stuff in there, real survival techniques, but unless you already know something about survival, how do you sift out the good from the bad?

Example of the first: He's emphasis on speed. Any survival situation can be compounded by injury. The last thing you want to do, short of an avalanche bearing down on you or the like, is to emphasize speed and risk injury. Also, one needs to conserve energy. This is just poor survival practice.

Example of the second: In one episode, he climbs directly down the face of a water fall because he doesn't want to take the chance of getting separated from his watersource. Well, I wouldn't want to get separated from a water source either, but climbing down a water fall is an extremely dangerous thing to do. If you don't slip just from the wet surfaces, the force of the rushing water may cause you to lose your purchase. In the episode I'm thinking about, they show the water shooting off the waterfall and hitting Bear with great force. The water shoots out around him. The only way I can think of to hang onto the face of a waterfall in the midst of such force is to be clipped in with some kind of harness. Kids will be thinking that they can do it unaided.

I think his show is generally irresponsible although it can be quite entertaining to those of us who see right through the idiotic portions.