A question for the professional first responders out there. What would you want me (us) to do (or not do) if we are first on the scene of a major highway accident, or see smoke and flames coming from a neighbor’s house, or even, perhaps, witness an assault or shooting? Other than immediately calling 9-1-1. (Probably a whole other conversation about how to make a 911 call. From my time listening to scanners, FR’s can spend a lot time looking in the wrong places based on lousy information given to 911 call takers.)

Response time in cities can be and usually is in minutes. But in rural and even suburban areas wait times for ambulances can be a lot longer. I live in a small town in SE PA with its own fire and ambulance service but once had to wait 30 minutes for an ambulance after a traumatic, self-inflicted injury (my FBI finger print card has only 9 of 10 spaces filled in).

So, if I roll up on a multi-car/truck pileup on a rain slicked section of I-95 what should I do? I carry a decent FAK in the car including trauma bandages and Celox. I have a fire extinguisher, a blanket and blue tarp. I carry a couple of strobe lights. So I’ve got gear. But what can and should I do that won’t compromise the patient’s condition, won’t complicate the EMT’s job and hopefully won’t get me sued?

The related question is what kind of training can a civilian get that makes one an asset rather than a liability in that kind of situation?

Now, in more than 40 years and a half million miles of driving I have never (knock on the wood trimmed center console) actually had this happen. But this forum is about being prepared, right?