Originally Posted By: Susan

LED: I am upwind (with prevailing winds) of the volcano, but if the winds aren't blowing, it just blows straight up and falls down over the whole area. Depending on weather conditions and time of day, the winds here can come from all compass points. But we would probably get less than many other places. When St. Helens blew, the ash in some places that were upwind of the prevailing wind were a foot deep, I've heard. Downwind was a nightmare.

I would try to seal the place as well as I could (tricky with a mobile), and crack open my box of 100 dust masks. Maybe I should get more....

Sue

Susan I was in Olongapo City during the eruption of Mt. Pinatubo 60 miles away. Your problem isn’t just breathing the dust and ash. The ash is more like a snow that accumulates the same way but weighs more. Then to add insult to injury it sets up like concrete. We had several an accumulation of more than 6inches in less than an hour after the eruption and some smaller buildings collapsed under the weight. A mobile home with a flat roof would collapse in a very short time