JCW: "There is just an inordinate amount of stuff that we take for granted that will suddenly have to be supplied all on your own..."

Beautifully put!

Ironraven: "If you do get ash, as I understand it, it is basically quickcrete coming down like snow."

It does come down like snow, as fine as fireplace ash. It's so light you can't shovel or sweep it very well because it becomes airborne again. I would get home ASAP, get up on the roof and sweep it off slowly with a push-broom. It's almost as light as air... until it rains. THAT'S when it turns to wet concrete, because it holds so much moisture so well.

Second problem with ash esp related to bugging out: it clogs a vehicle's air filter badly. A friend's neighbor was driving east from Ellensburg when St. Helens blew, and the ash started falling heavily in the 'dead zone' between Moses Lake and Spokane. That area was directly downwind of the volcano. He said he could only drive a maximum of two miles before he had to pull over and clean the air filter again. He stopped to help women stalled beside the road and told them what they needed to do. All the rest areas were loaded, people were parked in groups along the road. He said it was an AWFUL long trip, and almost as dark as night the whole time.

LED: I am upwind (with prevailing winds) of the volcano, but if the winds aren't blowing, it just blows straight up and falls down over the whole area. Depending on weather conditions and time of day, the winds here can come from all compass points. But we would probably get less than many other places. When St. Helens blew, the ash in some places that were upwind of the prevailing wind were a foot deep, I've heard. Downwind was a nightmare.

I would try to seal the place as well as I could (tricky with a mobile), and crack open my box of 100 dust masks. Maybe I should get more....

Sue