I live on relatively high ground, surrounded by a somewhat flood-prone area. My place flooding? Unlikely. Marooned? Possible.

I live about 60 miles from the next likely volcano to blow, but ash is the only likely result if it does, as I'm out of the way of the direct blast or lahar (debris) flows by about 30 miles.

Earthquakes are our second most likely scenario, after flooding.

Then there's always the chance of brushfire, trucker's strikes, collapse of the economy, and bouts of transmissible disease. I'm sure I'm missing some stuff.

I have 1900 sq ft of shelter, plus a garage, on a level acre of arable land.

I'm learning gardening, but it's a slower process than I realized, esp when you have to go to work. But I do have the tools and seeds.

I have lots of how-to books on various subjects. Books are heavy and difficult to transport. They're better used at home.

I have lots of natural fiber bedding, and a shed full of firewood and a wood stove. I also live in Douglas fir country, lots of firewood, a few years worth on my property alone.

I know many of my neighbors. Many of them have useable skills.

I have a good watchdog that isn't too trusting.

I have more tools than most women.

I don't have a natural source of water, but living in the PNW, rainwater harvesting is a good possibility.

I have a friend who has some knowledge of herb uses.

All this, or bug out? As far as I'm concerned, there's no question.

Sue