Originally Posted By: PackRat
I am going to look at this bottle from MEC to see if it could also be used to heat the water.
http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524442621456&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302696609&bmUID=1193702880092

Hmm. Interesting idea -- put your whole canteen on the fire. You've got a ready made lid that way, although you'd have to be careful to loosen the top a bit if you intend to boil it lest the steam build up pressure and when you open the top ... well, hope you brought your burn first aid kit with you.

The one thing I don't like about the MEC product is the kind of rounded bottom. Sigg makes stainless steel bottles with a bit more of a squared off bottom, Sigg Water Bottle. The one shown in this link is .6L but they make them in .75L and 1L sizes as well. I hadn't seen this one before, but Sigg also makes a stainless steel Canteen with cup. Might be nice to be able to boil a second round of water while you drink soup or hot chocolate from the cup. The .6L size, while of limited capacity, is pretty compact and readily packable in your ATV kit, car trunk kit, or backpack -- even a good sized fanny pack. The equipment you carry is the equipment you'll use.

Edited by Hikin_Jim (10/31/07 11:00 PM)