Thanks. I'm in Boston, so the chances that I'll see you on the 1 aren't that great. I don't know if I've ever seen the T in full emergency light mode, but I do know that the lights/HVAC cut out between stations with some frequency, and that no emergency lights automatically come on. Hopefully that's not indicative of what would happen in an emergency, but you never know.

Unfortunately, we don't have redundant tracks in Boston, so if the train in front of you is disabled for some reason, you're not going anywhere since they can't route around it. "Man under" in Boston == "There's been a medical emergency..."

I have a friend who was on the subway at Chambers St. on 9/11, and was evacuated. He said that the worst part about it was that the train crew and transit police told them that there was a fire, and everyone had to evacuate to the surface. Everyone assumed that meant "fire in the station/tunnel", and when they got to the surface things were in chaos, and the whole group was paralyzed trying to figure out what was actually going on, and where to go.