I had my pride handed to me on a saltine cracker the other day..

I had my "kit" less than 50 yards away, everything we here on this site say we need to carry on us as far as a psk goes.

I was at work, in a very secure federal installation where you need proximity cards to get into the first 2 sets of doors. Not to mention I had to be screened into the parking lot by the 3 armed federal guards who electronically opened the barbed wire fence to let me in.

I headed into the building and signed in, settled down and started doing my job. Across the room there sat my small, politically correct backpack.

With that pack, I am completely able to survive at a minimum of 3 days. Water purification, shelter, first aid, fire making, para cord, you name it....

You drop me, and that pack into most areas and I would have zero problems staying alive until I either get rescued or walk myself out of there.

I needed to take a leak, so I headed to the bathroom. Less than 50 yards away. So like a million times before,I went there and walked into the bathroom, shut and locked the door behind me.... I did what I needed to do, washed up and went to unlock the door.

The lock had decided to fail at that moment.. I was locked in a small room, with a big steel door and no possible way out... I was trapped!! I kicked, I pounded, I tried everything.. (I'm 6'3 and 275 lbs so it was no small effort.. )

I work in a remote part of the building where the possibility of someone coming by was improbable .I was at the mercy of the fates, period.. If I had my leatherman I could have gotten out of there very easily.But that wasn't possible...

My multitool was in my bag, as was my emergency tool...

Eventually a janitor came by and let me out after 2 hours.

Stop and think about that for a second, and I mean really let it set in.

If it isn't on your person, it has no usefulness whatsoever. 1000 bucks of kit 50 feet away is useless, but 5 bucks worth of kit in your pocket is PURE GOLD.

Always keep the basics in your pockets. Always.. No matter where you are..

think about it....