I'm the Safety Manager for a new flight training organization in Ras Al Khaimah, United Arab Emirates (NE corner of UAE, just on west side of mountains bordering Oman). We intend to start flight training at the end of this year or early in 2008, using the Cirrus SR22 and the Eclipse E500 VLJ for turbine transition. One of my primary tasks is survival and med kit design/procurement. I've long been aware of Equipped To Survive and now need to even become more interactive with it through this forum.
As for our flight ops, we will have a full-time staff of dispatch and flight supervisory personnel. This will permit strict monitoring of due-back times and prevention of our a/c becoming overdue for any extended amount of time (thereby avoiding extended overnight survival situations by downed air crews, hopefully!). We are fairly certain that there will be readily available SAR assets in the area should we need to initiate SAR actions. The typical crew on our flights will consist of one Instructor Pilot (I.P.) and two students (one flying, one observing, then switching at an outlying airport), therefore the survival kit must sustain three adults for an appropriate amount of time. These are just a few of my primary kit design/component selection parameters. Obviously, the learning curve here is essentially vertical, with this task being just one of many competing for my time and attention.
I'm figuring the key components will address signaling, water/small amt of food, shelter, and first aid. How about some component selection/kit design factors from forum readers on where possibly I should be going with this initiative? In advance, THANKS!! If you need further details, respond to this post and we'll go from there....