Got rear ended while parked on a quiet residential street today. I pulled over and parked to make a phone call. The safe thing to do, right? Well who would have thunk it? While in mid-conversation, a guy in a truck who wasn't paying attention because he was looking for a particular street or some such, veered of the main part of the road and into my car at full speed.

What a surprise for both of us! His car went from whatever speed he was going to a dead stop and mine went from a dead stop with parking brakes engaged to whatever speed before it came to a stop about 10 feet from where I started. It hit hard enough to even take the hat off my head.

I must say though, that the Infiniti G35 coupe is built to protect the passengers. The bumper smashed and the truck hit hard enough to go into the frame. I can see the crumple lines going up to the door. That took up a lot of the force, I think. And I am really happy that there was nothing in front of me, because if there was, I probably would have been hurt. And I am especially thankful that neither of my kids were in the car. As it was, it was a stunner. Although now, as the adrenaline has worn off, I feel little aches. And hopefully no whip lash. I didn't hit my head except on the head rest, but I did have a momentary bout of nausea. So my wife insists on taking me to go get checked out tomorrow.

There are several things that I am bummed about...the loss of time and money. The guy didn't have insurance. And I am even sorry he had to go to jail. He seemed nice enough, but not only did was he driving without a license, but he had four (I think) warrants out for his arrest. After he hit me, I saw him try to back up and I think drive off. He thought there was no one in the car. But when I got out of the car, he stepped out to face the music. I give him credit for that, because he kept saying he was going to jail today. But I did not wish that on him.

But I am thankful that we both walked away from it.

Anyway, I guess this was kind of a survival story.