How many times have I read that water should not be stored in milk-jug-type containers? Did I not take that advice seriously? Did I think it applied to everyone but me?

I had a modest store of water - all in it's original milk-jug-type containers. I live in a townhouse - no garage, attic or basement - so they lived in a row along the floor in my dining area- some of them between furniture and a wall so they could not easily be seen.

I use and rotate it somewhat,but I hadn't inspected them in a while, and last night, I noticed an ominous stain on the vinyl floor at the bottom of one of the jugs. Sure enough, one jug was completely dry, and two were half empty and leaking.

Now, not only is part of my water stash gone, but I can only hope the slow leak did not seep under the vinyl and damage the subfloor!

Now I'll have to start collecting 2-liter pop bottles from those who drink pop, and start over. (or any other storage container ideas would be appreciated)

By the way, thanks to those who have posted about storage in condos, apartments and other living arrangements that do not lend themselves to much stash.

DFW