Thanks for the advice, everyone. We came back from our camping trip. The firesteel worked amazingly well -- my son got the the hang of it and started our campfire with it. (Although it does make a difference if you strike using the UP side of the metal drag. Nor sure why.) So that was an unqualified success. Even my wife is telling her friends how well that worked. We used the campsite fire ring, so we still have to practice using an "in-the-forest" made-up fire pit, so he'll know not to burn the forest down.

The original items I picked were definitely more appropriate for an adult than a child. I was thinking this would be something he could grow into, but of course there's no reason not to add to or supplement as he gets older and more capable. D'oh.

The MKZ "saw" sucked. It made great sawdust powder, but it took ten minutes for them to cut down about 1 1/2" and they gave up before I had to tell them to. I guess it would be better than nothing if you had no other choice, but just barely, and not for a kid. Gone even before I read your advice.

Here's what I'm taking away from your advice:

1. I've visited the Hug-A-Tree page and the Childrens Survival kit page and will incorporate those ideas.

2. The paracord, saw, space blanket and most of the FAK is gone. From the FAK, I'm leaving some bandaids, bug bite wipes, the ointment and the Benedryl/inhaler I added. And I'll put some MP1 tabs in, but we're going to try them first. The stuff I'm taking out can always be added back later if desired.

3. I'm adding the tinder (he knew to look in his pockets for lint -- we had watched Survivorman together. How's that for impressive?!) and the bandanna. I'll work on an instruction card and laminate our picture to the other side of it.

4. The reflective tape is a neat idea.

5. In hindsight a small backpack would be more useful. I'll stick with the fanny packs for now just because we already have them. He wore his seemingly OK but if it were lighter/less full, I'm certain he'd be happier about it.

6. Put food in.

I'll write back with a picture of the results and the instruction card writings asap.