I would buy and drive a hybrid, but right now they're too expensive for me. I do think they're a step in the right direction, though.

I'm sorry, my friend, but I find it hard to believe the facts in your fact finding.

Quote:
Truthfully, a hybrid gets much worse mileage than claimed. On rolling hills, often less then 50% of claimed mileage.

Where's the data on this one coming from? And...in rolling hills, what vehicle (other than aircraft smile ) doesn't suffer in mileage?

Quote:
The batteries are extremely toxic, and less than 40% recyclable.

Maybe, but even more toxic than a tanker fuel of petroleum spilled along the roadway? How far can we get away from this "toxic" stuff before we realize it's ALL toxic?

Quote:
The cost differential leaves you needing to drive it for 33 years to break even.

This is a new one on me. The last I read the break-even period was 7 to 10 years. Don;t hold me to that, I'm relying on an aging mind for memory here.

Quote:
If you get in a wreck, rescue personnel can't use the jaws of life, because the power cable amperage will kill the rescuer if cut through, and the manufacturers so far refuse to install a master disconnect for emergencies.

Where is this extremely high-voltage power cable routed.... through every door and pillar of the car? It'd be more accurate if you "theorized" that they "might not be able to use the jaws of life if the area needing to be cut was the area where this "high voltage" cable was routed in most cars....like maybe one in a thousand cases (purely theoretical, of course)". Additionally, in an accident where the motor is not running and rescuers are working on the car, at that moment, how much voltage is coming from those DC cells and capacitors????? I'm curious here...

Quote:
I can't find the data sheet right now, but the typical hybrid produces over 200 times more ozone than the average car.
That ozone destroys rubber components on the vehicle at an accelerated rate, as well as the environment.

That sounds like pure BS...if you don;t mind my saying. A little logic and reasoning might go far here (or, I could be wrong...I was once, you know, 1972 I think). We need algore's input here on the environmental portion of that statement.

Quote:
If you want a vehicle built to appeal to hysterical emotionalism, bad ride, poor performance, overpriced, sloppy assembly, and worse for the planet, and logic be damned ...you really need a hybrid, so you can feel all smug and superior.

...hmm pure emotion coupled with no facts = pure emotion

I like those hybrids. As more are made and sold, they'll become more affordable and I'd love to have one. We have somewhat of a fuel crisis in the world. Since we are "prohibited" from drilling and research in certain areas of America, we find ourselves at the mercy of others for fossilized fuels. Anything we can do to make energy "cleaner", more available, and more affordable is good in my book.

Edited by Stretch (10/22/07 01:55 PM)