We were in the Sea of Cortez. We had a marine radio that operated and we were able to communicate with passing ships, etc, just not back to where we came from. The boat crew was fantastic. They kept us informed and helped every way they could, despite the language barrier. I spoke the most spanish on the boat so therefore I was the interpreter. They spoke some english so we were able to communicate ok, just not as good as I would have liked. The boat is a solid boat and is one of the reasons we were in good spirits. Not really intended for multi-day trips, but more than enough. Actually, it has berths for at least 10, but the weather was so nice, other than the wind, we slept above on the deck.

When we left, I, and the crew, had a current 10-day weather forcast. Which, was wrong. Imagine that.

The crew also made many sound jugement calls on the sea conditions, which I have no question was the right decision. You have to be patient with the weather and don't push it. Ride it out. You'll get where you want to go. But it's on mother natures' schedule, not yours.

Thanks for the feedback.

DLR

Edit to add: There was an operating (functional) EPIRB on the boat, so there was no worries about that. I even checked the battery myself.

Edited by DLR (10/22/07 02:04 AM)