When I put together the kits for the 4H group that we started, I used a small kids sized backpack instead of a fanny pack. The kids were 5 when they were presented to them, and they have used it for almost 1 1/2 to 2 years now. They "personalize" it by adding their own stuff and you may find the fanny pack might not expand with their needs.

I agree with my fellow ETSers. I purposely left out all chemicals and meds and left the for the parents of each child to deal with. I also left out fire starting materials.

If I may, I would suggest a signal mirror in addition to the whistle. For sharps, I gave them each a rounded tip scissors and a nail clipper. I have found that the kids use the flashlight, magnifying glass, and pen & pad the most plus the personal stuff they take. The second tier usage items have been the first aid kit, hand cleaner, sun screen, compass, bandana and whistle. They have used the poncho once or twice. And I agree with Blast, get something better. I went the cheap route because I was outfitting a group and trying not to go broke. For our group, they each have a little illustrated instruction booklet that also has each parents' names and phone numbers on it.

In my opinion, it is more important to teach them the right stuff than to give them the right stuff, but both are good. Congratulations on your efforts so far and good luck on the never ending quest to improve your kit (and knowledge).