TQS...

Thanks for your kind reply smile And I doubt that we have much, if any, difference of opinion.

I absolutely agree with you friend. I don't carry an "Altoid Tin" since I ALWAYS carry my mini with me EVERYWHERE that I go. It is never more than 100 yards from me... EVER (100 yrds would mean that I am in the back of Wally World perusing the newest Gerber or Shrade blade) smile

You can find my "Mini Roll" on the "Ditch Kit" thread. Weighing less than 6 pounds total (2 kits.. I only showed one.. the other is a military field kit bag with some FAK and other preps) it isn't too hard to keep by my side.

As for fire capabilities.. I am a pyro... I am extremely proficient at bow drill (less than 15 secs to coal), proficient at hand drill (4 to 5 passes) (my fav hand drill is "Equinus Canadensis" (locally called "Horseweed") on Cedar or Sycamore), Extremely profient at Flint/Spark throwing, Extremely proficient at Magnifying glass (usually less than 5-10 seconds to flame once the tinder is prepared). And... I can also use a lighter smile But here at the base camp (home) I have a fire going almost all the time. IF I lose my coal (such as in the heavy rain we had last night) my favorite "wilderness" firestarting method is to lay out my wood... Pour a 1/2 cup gas (unleaded type) on the wood, and throw a match from 10 foot smile Works every time! For the record for those not familiar with this technique.. NEVER throw gas on an already lit fire!!!

- Soarn