Digimark...

Awesome Kit for an 8 Yr old! I think you have thought it out well and put it together nicely.

I do, however, agree with Kevin on a few points.

#1 - Lose the saw. It is too dangerous. If it slips while he is using it he will probably get hurt. At 8, however, he could probably begin to use and carry a small knife.

#2 - The thermometer and compass, while nice, are probably not a necessity. If you DO decide to keep them, I would put them inside the pack. You and I understand equipment, but an 8 yr old will throw his pack down and break them quickly.

#3 - If he isn't proficient with the fire steel (ie: can find wild tinder, throw the spark, and get it to flame 3 times out of 4), exchange it for a lighter or windproof matches. If he is old enough to use fire I would add a "Pink Lady Candle" where the saw used to be. Light, security, warmth.

#4 - I would love to see a laminated "cheat sheet" on what to do and how to use the kit. Especially on the usage of the meds included. Remember, in an emergency sometimes it is hard to think clearly.

#5 - A family picture... This would give comfort and encouragement in an emergency. Write "We Love you" on the picture and laminate it.

#6 - I would drop the towel and add a white, yellow, or orange bandana. We teach our own children and younger students that if lost.. they should tie the bandana/ or their T-Shirt to a long stick, hoist it in the air, and sit down under the nearest tree (preferrably coniferous). The towel (yellow I see) could be used the same, but the bandana would be easier to tie on and would take less space. They should then blow their whistle 3 times every few mins. This is imparative advice for any youngster lost in the "Woods".

Above all things Gary, make sure that you take the time to explain all of the items and their usage to your son. Make that one of the goals of your trip. You sound like an awesome dad, and I am sure you will both have a wonderful time!

- Soarn