Yep, you got to be careful, even with sushi(the fish kind as well as the deer kind).

Raw meat is not something I indulge in too often, and some types never. If you are going to do raw, then you have to make sure the animal is top quality to begin with, the cut is from a good location on the animal, and it was handled during the slaughter and butchering properly. Even then, like you say, it can still have parasites, which is why I never eat pork unless it has been cooked to at least 170 degrees throughout.

I used to eat my steaks rare. I have moved it up a notch to medium rare, just for a little margin of safety, though likely any contaminated or tainted meat is still going to get me.

Still, a nice warm bite of fresh venison backstrap after a kill is sometimes warranted, as it is akin to eating a rare bite of steak anyways. I don't do the "Dances With Wolves" raw liver thing though. I prefer my liver to be cooked through.