Quote:
Kits such as these do not adequately address the needs of many basic survival situations, such as amputation, snakebite, hypothermia, dehydration, self-defense, etc

The main failings of the 'Altoids Tin Survival Kit' is that they have no means of supplying a dose of common sense. DR's survival instructions go a long way to help though.

Lets take each Survival Situation you've mentioned.

Amputation - Why would you want to cut one of your appendages off unless your suffering from apotemnophilia (minefields and IEDs aside).

Snakebite - You haven't been looking where you are going but again the simple medical kit in the 'Altoids Tin Survival Kit' could help save your life i.e. razor or sugical blade, sewing kit, cordage, painkillers and antibiotics.

Hypothermia - There is no such thing as bad weather only the wrong type of clothing although the ability to light a fire can compensate somewhat. i.e matches, firesteel etc. A wire saw can also help provide a means to build a shelter along with a good knife.

Dehydration - To go unprepared into Desert or the Arctic regions shows a real lack of preperation, which itself is should supplement the dose of common sense (not supplied with any 'Altoids Tin Survival Kit'). The 'Altoids Tin Survival Kit' should provide a means of carrying and sterilising water. i.e Condoms etc.

Self Defence - In the wilderness, self defence is not really an issue.