I get to swing from my place on the Ventura/Los Angeles County line late yesterday over to the 5 freeway and north above Edwards AFB to pick up my marooned nephew. I'm already tired and it's raining.And it seems my nephew let his insurance lapse by missing a payment and my insurance doesn't cover undesignated drivers. Lovely, So we head out and I have a hot coffee in the center console, the window cracked open to keep fresh air in my face and the radio firmly turned off over his protests. And I'm pushing a fast double nickle in the slow lane being passed by lots of high beams and chinese good luck signs out the windows. We come to a stretch of the freeway with an overpass that is for all practical purposes a tunnel.And my mental map reminds me this has always been a nasty stretch in a brutal drive. And I can feel the onset of pilot's TUC and tell my nephew I'm pulling over to rest. And he objects since we are so close to the amenities of the Valley and I almost kept driving. But something said PULL OVER NOW. I did, as best I could with my hazards on when this banging sound of multiple crashes followed by a huge fireball blew back out of the tunnel ahead. We wound up sleeping for 6 hours AFTER we finally got rerouted back north. I pulled of at a rest stop. My nephew objected. " I can't sleep like this! I said "The experienced Coast Guardsman can sleep anyw...ZZZZZ." 15 trucks and cars piled up with two known dead so far. I told my nephew he could walk until his insurance is reinstated. wink