bv
Originally Posted By: RAS
Nostalgia has its limits. I still have the Camillus slipjoint knife I was issued back in 1971, what a POS. I keep it only for nostagia, I would never consider it to be a serious tool. Besides not locking, the blade won't hold a sharp edge. I suppose it's okay as a scraping tool and the bottle opener works, but even the lowly Victorinox Swiss Army Knife Pioneer is a better knife for real use.

Being practical though, why include a knife in the kit at all. Every other sailor has a better folder they carry all the time.

Definitely standardize batteries, but why CR123A? Those are good for the high output Surefire tactical lights, especially the non-LED models. But for long life, that high output isn't the way to go. The polycarbonate plastic construction, LED's and AA (alkaline or lithium) batteries are ideal in a survival situation.

$.02

I have a Camillus and it will hold a sharp edge. That means sharp enough to shave the hairs off the back of my hand.

You have to completely remove and reprofile the original edge to do it, but it is doable.

I have also very lightly applied a punch to the rivet's. That stiffens up the action slightly. It now won't close on your fingers under normal use.

I E.D.C. it quite a lot in situations where carrying a locking blade is unwise/illegal.