Originally Posted By: JCWohlschlag
Hey, Tom. I just wanted to ask if you could do us, especially me, a favor and let us know what all your kit will include when you make your decisions and finish up.

I certainly will. There is a lot to think about, and some testing to do down the road as well. I have already gained some useful insights into some of the gear that should be updated.

It's tempting to want to put every conceivable gadget in the raft to make it a bit better, but I have to balance a lot of factors in making any changes. If the survival equipment starts taking up a lot more volume, it makes it more difficult to pack which can directly effect the inflation reliability of the raft.

In dealing with about 9000+ life rafts, I have to be prudent on the additional costs incurred in putting new or more equipment inside. I like to exceed USCG/SOLAS regs were possible, but it gets hard to justify going higher if it costs a fortune to do so.

Sometimes I have to ask the question like, "is it better to have a better knife or a better flashlight?" or things to that effect.

It's very similar to decisions you make when you buy a car. Do you want or can you afford the safest car on the market, or do you settle for one that's good enough? Do you carry the highest levels of insurance for your person and property?

Please keep any suggestions or ideas coming.

Regards,

Tom