Originally Posted By: MDinana

Some of the ideas presented here are great: I really like the idea of some sort of solar panel to help recharge electronics. Also, is there an internal light? Even during the day, it got really dark once the overhead cover was drawn shut.

There is an internal light which can be switched off during the day. We are looking at some new lighting systems using LEDs which will burn for a much longer time. The current system is rated for about 12 hours or so total burn time IAW SOLAS.

Quote:
Perhaps something can be done to help sailors hold onto the perimeter? Either small loops, carabiners, etc?

There are internal life lines around the inside perimeter.

Quote:
And, yes, something a little more practical than the Camillus would be nice as well.

OK, I'll guess I should revisit the knife.

Quote:
Maybe more 2-qt water storage bags? There's going to be a LOT of thirsty people after the second or third day. What is there in the way of repair equipment with the desalination pump?

One reason we use bottled water is that the containers can be reused to store water from the desalinator which will produce up to 35 gallons per day, far in excess of the minimum required for 25 people. In theory, if the desalinator in one raft didn't work, a desalinator from another raft could adequately produce water for both of them. The desalinators have undergone rigorous testing and the likelihood of failure in a short period of time is very remote.

As far as I know, we're the only ones to put any sort of extra water storage bags in a life raft.

We use bottled water because pouch water leaked too much from low temperature extremes and the the drop of the life raft into water. All survival gear must survive the impact of the life raft in its container dropping from a height of 65 feet into the water. In tests we lost up to 30% of the pouch water. The bottled water is much more rugged, can be rationed easier with its graduated bottle, and the bottle can be resealed and refilled.

Best of luck to you when you get to the fleet.

Regards,

Tom