Excellent points JCW. You may be one of the very few people who actually did grasp my point with the article....

Everyone's situtation, capabilites, and scenarios are very different and any planning or kit must be tuned to those parameters.

If I lived down there in a sure-to-collapse condo, the very first thing I would do is move....then worry about all the other things.

As to sourcing tarps and building materials from the home center next door, I was not advocating looting. With 1000's of our employees standing in the parking lot, combined with 100's from the surrounding businesses, I am quite certain that the home center would do everything possible to assist with tarps, wood, water and any other items that could safely be moved out of the store or outside storage areas. I WAS NOT advocating armed looting on the store....that is just stupid.

My approach to scattering multiple redundant kits about, coupled with a daily wear kit is an approach that works for me in my situations. What would work in SF is likely a derivative.

Another suggestion is to join a local volunteer emergency group. When the condo hits the dirt, report for duty to assist others. You end up serving the community, have shelter, food, water and communications. This is one of my approachs, serving as a ham operator at the local EOC.

Edited by Schwert (10/10/07 08:39 PM)