Originally Posted By: teacher

Given that:

1. What is your goal with the life rafts? How many people under what conditions for how many days? Everything else flows from that.

The ships are equipped with enough life rafts to accommodate 110% of the maximum possible manning. In all probability rescue would occur in less than three days, unless we're talking about a nuclear holocaust.

Quote:
2. Can you talk to people who have acutally used the rafts? Survivors can tell you things that we will never think of. What works/ what doesn't. Find a few dozen sailors who used a raft and ask them their opinions.

I've studied several life raft survival situations, including the use of modern inflatables by the Argentines during the Falklands War when the General Belgrano was sunk. The biggest problem for life raft survivors is hypothermia.

Quote:
3. Supplement to #2. Can you get a bunch of folks and a pool, even for a day, to test gear? You will discover some of your basic assumptions are wrong (And how to fix them, I hope.) In marketing terms; a focus group.

We test gear all the time. One motto on the wall is "One test is worth a thousand expert opinions."

Quote:
4. Is the above pictured raft the best design? Why not oval? Why a 6' peak (if it is) and not 7' or 5'? Why orange? Is green better? etc.

It's a proven design which meets USCG/SOLAS requirements.

Quote:
5. What does your current kit do about hypothermia?

There are 12 survival (space blankets) versus the 3 carried by USCG/SOLAS approved rafts.

Quote:
6.What happens to each piece of gear when soaked in salt water? does it still function?

Yes, everything still works when wet.

Quote:
7. Can you order gear to have all interchangeable batteries? Is there a hand charger of some sort provided? What is the cost of a small re-charging solar panel?

My hope is to have all equipment powered by CR123 batteries with adequate spares supplied.

Quote:
8. What gear does each life vest include?

The new float coats have a man overboard transponder and beacon.

Regards,

Tom