If you have the chance of taking a course from Mors --- run, not walk to Edmonton this next summer. You won't regret it. Mors and his heir apparents are very capable outdoors people. Actually the back up instructor built a house out of saplings and spruce boughs using just his knife and spent the last year living in it (-40*c et al). He patterned the hut from Mor's supershelter and dragged a cast iron stove inside for heat. All his furniture is made on site from available materials. He is having a hard time convincing his girl friend to spend much time in his wilderness hut though. :-)

I spent only 2 of the 7 days on the course (left due to health problems) but just listening to his wealth of knowledge and experience about the boreal forest was a treat! He's getting up their in age and is only going to be teaching for the next year or two at most. I am hoping that next year I can make it out.

Included is at least one overnight (probably 2) at a nearby lake where you put into practise what you learn (learn your knots well!) You will have minimal food, you can forage if you like. They promised that the students would be working in teams and on their own. Learn your knife and how to sharpen. Learn about primitive fire making.

We went on a short 3-hr walk-a-bout session where Mors talked a mile-a-minute about the native plants and their uses and history. Btw, did you know that if mix blueberry leaves with buffalo berry leaves and brew as a tea you can get a real spacey high??? Or so they tell me... :-)

PM me if you want more details.