Originally Posted By: MDinana
I dunno... this kind of proves my point. You crash, and you survive, you've got a big honking storage container under you. You're sitting on the world's largest signal fire (ever seen a plane actually crash? The smoke is impressive). those folks that froze, it sucks. I don't know if they tried scrounging, but I have to wonder why they didn't move closer to that burning wreck.

Hmmm - I'm not sure how I "proved [your] point" since your point was that if the airliner crashes, you die - which simply isn't true. Maybe I misunderstood.

I've never seen an actual airliner crash, but I've seen the footage of the Sioux City crash. There was a huge fireball, but there was little or no "burning wreckage" after the first couple of minutes. The Arrow Air disaster in Gander, Newfoundland (where, admittedly, everyone did die) had no "burning wreckage", according to the reports I've read; in fact, I can't remember reading about an airline crash which produced a long-lasting fire. What airline crash have you seen where the airplane carcass burned for hours afterward? And would a huge bonfire really be effective at warming injured survivors?

Much of an airliner's fuel is carried in the wings, anyway, and those are very likely to break off on impact. Hence the huge but brief fireball witnessed in the Sioux City crash.

You have a very good point - most airliner accidents occur during the takeoff and landing phase. Even the ones that don't, such as Sioux City (which resulted from a catastrophic failure in flight) the pilots are going to try everything possible to make it to an airport. So if you are in an airliner crash, and you survive, there's a very good chance that you'll be found within minutes. However, that's not guaranteed.

Personally, to the extent that I worry about being in an airline crash at all, my main priorties would be (a) first aid for the injured, and (b) basic fire-starting and possibly shelter-construction for a couple of hours. I can't see rescue taking longer than that, except maybe in a Tom Hanks stranded-on-a-desert-island worst-case scenario. If you're flying on some South American airliner in the Andes or over the Bolivian jungle, then I'd be a little more concerned about the long-term survival issue, of course.