Originally Posted By: CBTENGR
I have seen several other posts that talk about firearms in the EDC arena. I would like to pose several questions for those that do EDC or are considering firearms...

FIRST:

- Are you prepared to use deadly force to stop the life-threatening actions of another person? (statistics show that if you present a firearm and show weakness in using it, even in a life-threatening situation, it is more likely to be used against you)

If I didn't prepare myself for using deadly force, I wouldn't be carrying. If I clear leather, you can bet I'm punching holes in the target. Mental preperation for this fact is the most inportant training there is.

Quote:
- When was the last time you trained with your firearm? (not just going to the range but combat/real-world scenario training, most shootings occur within the 7m range, shooting ranges aren't setup for those distances)

I train once a week at an indoor range. Sometimes two or three times. I shoot between 7 yards and 15 yards (the min and max at the range). I also take regular self defense firearms training classes every few months. I am going to start going to IDPA matches for some variety.

Quote:
- How often do you carry your firearm? (if it's not with you it can't help you, a lot of places won't let you carry firearms on their property)

Mine is always on me from when I get dressed in the morning until I go to bed. I live in CA and have a CCW permit.

Quote:
- How do you carry your firearm? (LEO's are taught that the lethal range for a knife attack is 20 ft, anything less and you will be wounded before you can unholster and fire even one shot)

IWB strong side holster. Sometimes leather, sometimes kydex. Extra mag in pocket.

Quote:
- Where do you keep your firearm when it's not being carried? (leaving it in the car while at work or shopping is an obvious liability unless you purchase a well made car safe)

If it's not on me that means I am in bed and it is under my pillow. My firearm is never left in the car and I don't go to places that won't let me carry, which in CA there are very few.

Quote:
- Is your family trained in firearm use/safety? (if you have a firearm in the home all adults should be trained in the use of the firearm and all children should be taught firearm safety, at no time should a child or irresponsible adult be left alone with a firearm or with easy access to a firearm, all firearms should be secured when not in use)

Girlfriend is gun enthusiast and goes to the range with me every couple of weeks. No kids in house.

Good questions. I know people that carry, but probably have never thought of some of these questions before.