Eric,

I think you would find that a multi-tool is going to be far more useful than any regular fixed blade or folding knife, whether for everyday use as many of us attest to, or for survival purposes.

The reason is simple, there are a variety of tool implements on a multi-tool that a knife simply won't suitably substitute for. Just to name a few very real and likely survival uses: Wire-cutting, wood sawing, opening cans and bottles, screwdriving, crimping, prying, nut and bolt tightening, nutcracking, potholding, etc. It also has at least one decent knife blade on it for cutting, so in that sense it can emulate to some degree what your other more dedicated use knives do as well.

I've seen whole elk field dressed with a Leatherman tool, about as quick as I could do it with my old buck hunter. In fact, the notion that it can be used for everyday tasks ought to legitimize it's value as a survival tool I would think.

Keep your other knives with you if you can. I've used my Leatherman Wave regularly in remote wilderness settings and in downtown Manhattan.