Originally Posted By: Frankie
I don't have a multitool and would never carry it everyday anyway, it's too bulky...

...I have a (1 dollar?) p51 military can opener.
...I have tiny folding scissors
...I have good quality Sliver Gripper tweezers (about 7 dollars)
...I carry a one handed opening Spyderco Delica
...normal affordable real needle nose pliers

The gear you listed adds up to more weight and bulk than a good Leatherman tool. My Leatherman is always on my belt, is less bulky than what you listed above and has more tools. When you include the Delica and real quality pliers, the cost is roughly the same as many of the full sized Leatherman models available at Wal-Mart and Target. You are fooling yourself with a false economy. And what good are your tools if they are not always with you? You don't get to plan your next emergency.

Originally Posted By: Frankie
...believe me there's not much that can be cut with such a small length. To be really effective a saw should be ideally half an arm span long.

Some of the most useful cuts of wood in a survival situation (poles for shelter, poles for an improvised litter, poles for a fish trap, etc etc) are less than 1" in diameter and it's a lot easier to make those 1" cuts with the saw on my Leatherman than chopping away with a large knife. I know, I've done both multiple times. Plus the Leatherman saw is infinitely better for fine work like trap triggers and other improvised parts. Remember that the saw works great on materials other than wood like plastic and bone.

Sometimes, you don't know what you don't know.