I used to maintain calling cards from all three major long distance providers (AT&T, Sprint, and MCI). This gave me three different network options for busy phone times (Mother's day and post earthquakes). I always seem to get through with at least one card. They have traditionally maintained separate phone networks(Sprint-fiber, AT&T-copper, MCI-microwave) so I have true diversity in post crisis calling. If you choose some other calling card, try to find out which network they use so you don't have multiple cards using only one network. This is not to mention all the money I have saved by dropping regular long distance services from my home phone (monthly service charges and taxes).

In my experience, all the cards have expiration dates regardless of where purchased. In all cases I have been able to re-charge the calling card by contacting the company and using a credit card for payment. All unused minutes from before the expiration have always been rolled over.

Last year I dumped AT&T for charging me $6 to re-charge the card. The entire re-charge process was fully automated via the phone. There was no option to renegotiate price. It was only after the transaction was fully complete did the recording notify me that I would be charged $6 for the re-charge. Shame on AT&T! This should have been stated up front! Not only is this dishonest, but the lack of a renegotiated price + $6 made this a lousy deal for long distance. More than double what I pay with MCI and Sprint.

Whenever my sprint or MCI card expires I call their re-charge number. At some point in the conversation a live operator will intervene. They always try to talk about the total re-charge fee and not the per minute cost. I ask for a $20 recharge then ask them about the per minute cost. They will usually quote me a price between 5 and 6 cents a minute. I ask them to match their competitors price. In all cases they have met my request immediately and without quibble. I currently pay 2.85 cents per minute on my MCI and Sprint calling card. No recharge or monthly fees.

Hope this helps, TR