The AR7 always struck me as fairly crude. I like the idea, but the stock was uncomfortable and I just wasn't impressed by the overall workmanship.

The Marlin papoose has always intrigued me. On the downside, as a kid, everyone I knew had a Marlin or Glenfield (poor man's Marlin) rifle. The were constantly jamming. Even my bolt action Glenfield would jam the first two rounds on a full mag. We referred to Marlin 22 autos as "Jam Masters". The accuracy is superb, but I just have a hard time feeling like I could rely on a Marlin .22 (that may not be fair, but the feeling is still there). Now Marlin's lever actions are a whole 'nuther thing. They are superb tools. They have a lever 22 that takes down and is worthy of consideration.

The Browing 22 auto is pure artwork. They are superb rifles. I would have a hard time putting one in a BOB. It belongs on the wall being admired, or carried in the field plinking critters.

For me the best solution for a compact rifle is the Ruger 10/22 CRR (compact rifle) in a folding stock. The Rugers are very reliable and have decent accuracy. Spare parts are available everywhere. The compact rifle (CRR) has a nice short 16 1/8" barrel. There are several options in folding stocks, but my favorite is made by Butler Creek (same stock pictured above by quietmike). They have blue steel or stainless steel versions.

The ruger mags are utterly reliable for feeding and are much better protected in the stock, than hanging out below like other mag styles.

One more thing... The 10/22 in a folding stock doesn't have to be assembled (or the stock extended) to go "bang".

I believe that survival tools should be kept simple and reliable and am a huge fan of reciever or express sights. The XS sights are just superb. http://www.xssights.com/store/rifle.html
With a bit of effort I'm sure I could find a suitable floating case for this package.

Good luck in your quest.

TR

Edited by pizzaman (09/23/07 04:46 AM)