> If you do end up needing to go 'shopping'leave leave a cheque. Prepare
> this cheque before you go in.

Good idea. I'd bet a list of stuff taken would suffice, with contact information. I can do that.

Although others have panicked at the thought of looting, I noticed that in New Orleans police not only provided aid and protection as people looted grocery stores for food and water, the officers defended their actions. I have no fear of being shot by the manager - we know each other by sight; if he's there, I'll make arrangements if possible (or leave if he asks). If the manager is not there, and it's been days with no end in sight, I'm comfortable that police reaction will be the same as in New Orleans. I don't recall looters being shot on sight, looters shooting each other, and so on. No hysteria there that I recall.

Katrina was very unusual, but I'm planning on a similar situation in my area if there is a major earthquake: No way out, no way in, and long term survival in doubt. If everyone is fed and watered by FEMA in a few days, no problem. But I'm planning on a worst case scenario, and shopping at the local store is in the game plan. I'm using Katrina as my scenario, and Katrina was a disaster.