Jim, Thanks for the comments. I do have a couple of energy bars in the bag but the bandana is a good suggestion. I need to add some more shelter items as was suggested by Blast in case I get caught up in something away from my BOB in the car .

(Next time I'll reply to all the comments in one post, still new to this concept).
I do keep a mask in the BOB as well as gloves (there's a pair in the AMK.3 pouch). Might add one to the attache.

Blast, my cell phone uses a USB port so I can charge it from the laptop or a small AC/DC adapter I also keep in the attache. I do have a crank charger (Sidewinder). I also keep in the car a solar charger with 12 volt adapter to charge my radio, cell phone, etc. I add to that a 14 amp hour SLA battery I can also use to run everything.

BTW, a ham radio license is not hard to get, you no longer need to know Morse code. A very compact and useful 2 meter HT (handie talkie) can be had for less than $150. And in a catastrophic event ham operators are more likely than not to stay on the air since ham radio is a point-to-point communcations systems, not a networked one like cell phones.

Edited by Andy (09/19/07 06:58 PM)