Hi Doug,

I agree with you that a larger caliber than a .223 would be a more effective hunting round (I think it was stated early in this post that the Saiga was available in larger calibers though). I think many people prefer the .223 because of the availability of ammo if TSHTF.

"(p.s.the rifle caliber of choice for brown bear in coastal Alaska is the .375 Winchester)"

Concerning the .375 Winchester as being the caliber of choice for brown bears I think you are confusing the .375's.

The .375 Winchester is a straight-walled round developed by Winchester in 1978 for use in their strengthened Model 94 lever action rifle. It fires a 220gr. flat nosed bullet at app. 2200fps making it a good round for deer and black bear at close range. I would much rather have one of these than a pointy stick if charged by a brown bear but it would not be my caliber of choice.

I think the .375 you were referencing is the .375 H&H Magnum developed in 1912 and is often referred to a minimum all-around world caliber. It launches a 300gr. bullet at 2600fps and is a highly recommended caliber for coastal brown bears.

Mike