Out in the wastelands of south-central Washington State, I new a few wheat farmers that used to run greyhounds after yotes. Them coyotes knew they were in trouble and would lay their ears back and hit the afterburners, but it was like F-4s chasing Migs in 'nam; it was only a matter of time before them greyhounds caught up to that yote and put him tail over teakettle. Then it was a matter of if you could get up to the intercept sight before the greyhounds had the yote so tore up you couldn't recognize what he was any more.

I talked to one of the farmers about live and let live, and he told me that he thought about that a long time ago, till one of the yotes had taken his momma's poodle out of the backyard. After that, he said the war was on.

It sure is funny how them yotes will hang out on the trail and just watch you drive by, even stand there and watch you stop and open the door and get out, but the moment they see that gun barrel they light out full throttle. They ain't stupid, just hungry.