I have both the P2 and the P3. Yes, the P3 mode selection is annoyingly complicated and yes it is worth it. The P3's water resistance is important, it's easier to turn on and off and the low-light modes give you options to maximize battery life and/or preserve your night vision. If you find the mode selection complicated, just pick your favorite mode and leave it there. That's what I do. I like the low setting because it gives me the right amount of light for what I normally use the light for and if I want some more reach for a moment, I just press the front button and get the bright light for a moment. The other modes will still be there if the day comes when I need them, but I really don't switch between them at all in normal use.<br><br>In a sense, using the P3 is actually simpler than the P2 if you choose to ignore the modes. Battery changes are simpler (no screwdriver needed), on/off is simpler and keeping the inside dry is simpler. In my opinion, the current production P3 makes the P2 completely obsolete. <br><br>As for color, choose whatever you like, it's mostly a matter of personal preference. The white or red make the most sense to me for a survival light. If I only have one light, I'd probably want it to be white for full color rendition which you won't get from yellow or orange, etc. LED light.<br><br>Also, I'd highly recommend the covert option and good prices are at http://www.lights4raves.com.<br><br>Good luck!