Interesting article. Thanks for the link. I had no idea that Pedialyte had a professional following. As the article mentions, the sodium content of Pedialyte is quite high and I can't stand the taste of it unless it's served very cold.

As I've pointed out before, there's a difference between rehydrating your body and replacing electrolytes. Few of us routinely lose enough electrolytes during some activity to require replenshment on-the-go. Most of us will replace the electrolytes at our next meal. Rehydration, however, is something that most of us can benefit from.

Personally, I would not routinely use Pedialyte as a "sports drink," primarily due to its high sodium content. Americans already consume way, way more sodium than necessary in our diets and consequently suffer from hypertension and increased risk of heart attacks and strokes. I'm surprised that trainers and sports medicine docs allow their highly paid altheletes to chug this stuff, unless they're careful to limit how much and how they drink it.

I would still recommend Gookinaid Hydralyte as the best general purpose rehydration beverage for sports and other strenuous activities. Only if I were having severe or prolonged diarrhea or vomiting would I really benefit from something like Pedialyte.