Chris,
the firing pin is either broke or the spring is really weak. You can see where the end of the firing pin is not rounded anymore it is actually flat and though this is an old rifle i believe it is broke. The round that i tried to fire out of it had an imprint on it and yes i know i should have left it in the barrel pointed downrange in case it went off. I loaded it in my revolver and it fired just fine. As far as this rifle being my teaching gun for my kids I have a Marlin semi auto that will suffice for that as well as a 22 revolver.

Jackpine,
Thanks for the numbers but i have to find a model number or figure out what parts i need first.

Gunsmith,
I have disassembled the rifle as far as i was willing to go before i test fired it. basically i took the one thumbscrew loose and removed the stock and cleaned it soon after recieving it. I have not figured out how to remove the bolt from it yet (I really haven't sat down and taken my time with it). I am thinking that if/when i get the bolt removed I can disassemble the bolt and find some new parts for it.

CJK,
The only markings i have found on it is the word RANGER. there are no proof marls or numbers anywhere on the rifle that i have been able to see.

Edited by REDDOG79 (09/06/07 01:34 AM)