Long ago a wise person told me to learn how to type and how to sharpen a knife but warned me not to let anyone know that I knew how. Used to be if people knew you were in danger of being deluged by requests for favors.

Now typing isn't such a big deal and people have shifted to disposable knives or are so used to dull knives they no longer understand the difference. Used to be most men, and a lot of women, had a knife and most took some pride in keeping it relatively sharp. Not so much any more. Different times.

It is one thing to be known as 'Handy' and good in a tight spot and quite another to have a reputation for holding large stocks of emergency supplies.

Working in a trade I have tools. I don't lend out my regular work tools. I do keep a set of back-up/junker/loaner tools on hand. If a helper forgets his tools or we are working in an environment that eats tools or a neighbor needs a wrench these are the ones that get handed out.

After a few times borrowing the same tools I lean on the borrower and suggest that that if they owned their own they wouldn't have to spend their time begging for what they need.

I have a pantry well stocked but other than that small stockpile there is no reason for anyone to know about anything else.

I really don't worry about intruders rudely requesting or demanding a share. In my experience a firm word and a clear message your not likely to tolerate much nonsense is usually all that is necessary. I have noticed that the handle of a hog-leg peeking out around the edge of a shirt has a definite sobering effect.