Originally Posted By: Erik_D
Quote:
God will take care of us...

this one is probably my favorite on the list of dumb excuses people give for not preparing. Even more so than "FEMA will save us."

Most of those folks would probably say that those poor 230,000+ were of the "wrong" religion, so God ignored them. I hate that mentality as much as you; I've got a few friends like that and it drives me insane.

Anyway, onto the thread... I'm not quite Inspector Gadget, but my girlfriend knows most of my preps, and gives me crap for buying flashlights and knives (a Fenix and a S30V blade Kershaw, so it's pricey). But she tends to blab a little about me always carrying a knife or flashlight, so I've started keeping the other EDC quite. To be fair though, I don't tend to carry much more. A power bar, mini multi-tool, pen, some cash in my backpack (still a student after all).

Looking into adding a fire starter, but here in Detroit, I doubt I'll have a pressing need for that! Plus, I can't start a fire with a spark unit without an accelerator anyway, so that would entail carrying tinder. Speaking of which, has anyone tried Ranger Rick's SOS fire starter? I like the size; please PM if you have any experience with it! Thanks.