I am planning on getting a tri-fuel generator to use as a home backup. I plan on having it hooked up to the home with an automatic transfer system for emergencies. (rolling blackouts)

For fuel I am planning on using the natural gas option, because of the obvious ability to hook into the pipe into my home etc.

The facts about where I live though, Palm Springs location, in southern California, is that I am going to be hit with a large earthquake before any other type of natural disaster.

So with that knowledge, when a large earthquake hits, it is very possible that the natural gas line will be shut off or broken.

So knowing that, my only two other options are gasoline or propane.

Well the summers, like now, get to be upwards of 120 degrees outside. Inside a garage it can get to over 135-150 degrees.

So storing gasoline inside a garage or outside, I don't think is an option.

I have done some research and I was wondering if anyone has any experience in storing propane tanks. I can get new tanks (40lb) for about $50 each. If I had a few of those, then could easily last me a few days of power with the generator, if I calculated it correctly.

From when I have read as long as I store them upright and keep them away from any ignition sources, I should be as safe as having it attached to a bbq.

Any ideas or comments would be VERY welcome.

Thanks
DTT

"All Hail the Power of Bauer"

"Only the Paranoid Survive" - Andy Grove

"Why is it called the American Dream? Because you have to be ASLEEP to believe it!" - George Carlin