It's terrible that most folks here have to talk about being prepared as if they had a bad gambling or drug habit. That said I am also conflicted about revealing skills and my preparedness level. Like izzy I have similarly been caught with my trunk bucket ;^). Although its nice to be thought of as the "go to guy" I think pizzaman has a thoughtful point on the negotiating tactic. It can sometimes take a tribe to survive and if folks have skills or equipment they can trade or cooperate with, more power to the tribe.

I am currently training to be a teacher and I'm learning it is important to teach what you know but not to treat it like a pulpit. Starting a group in your community is a good thing I think so long as it is for educational and mutually beneficial purposes. I believe my local red cross conducts some training on disaster preparedness topics and could be a great addition to such a forum. Most folks who take the time to show up to such a group would likely be inclined to contribute in some way even if its minimal (3-day) preparedness on their part thus eliminating the burden on local responders and your doormat.

I have tried my best to only recruit my immediate family and friends since I'd be wanting to help them when the SHTF but its a difficult idea to sell to them when buying food and survival supplies deals with budgeting and many, many hours of prep.

Besides using survival Christmas gifts, frequent reminders of Katrina anniversaries and "peak oil" news articles I am all out of ideas to get their preparedness levels up. I am almost to the point of just asking what they can contribute in such an event since they will be showing up in an emergency anyway. Being chief of a tribe of moochers is not my most favorable of survival scenarios.

Cheers,
Nemo.

Edited by Nemo (08/30/07 05:36 AM)