I don't know too much about campers, but I do know a bit about trucks. I'm only going to go into the newest trucks, if you are looking at something a bit older there are differences.

First off, diesel is definitely the way to go. Your fuel mileage will be more than double a gas powertrain and it will have much more power than the smaller V8’s. If you have to go gas the V10 Ford is the only way to go, but your gas mileage will be a killer.

I'm not sure what the weight of those trailers are, so you might be able to get away with a 3/4 ton. Chances are you'll have to get a 1 ton+ truck. From there you have two choices, singles or dually. A single rear wheel pickup will fare better off-road and in slippery conditions. However, a dually offers the security of an extra set of rear tires supporting your load (which is better if a tires blows out). You could also remove one set of tires if need be, just to get you out. Therefore, I personally would look at a dually. However, that's up to you. The dually trucks are larger, wider, and harder to maneuver. If you are going to use the truck for a daily driver the single rear wheel style is more livable.

As far as the current diesel trucks go, they are all very good, but they have their own quirks. Ford and Dodge both have solid front axels, which makes for a stronger drive train (and better off-road). However, Chevy/GMC with its IFS makes for a better riding and handling truck. Engine wise, the cummins (in the Dodge) is hard to beat since it's the easiest of the three to work on and its inline-6 design is very reliable. The Duramax/Allison combo is also hard to beat, a very powerful stock towing combo. Finally, the new Ford diesel is good with plenty of power, but difficult to work on. The dealers have actually learned how to remove the cab in about a half hour in order to work on the engine, since it's much easier than working with the cab on.

Interior wise, Chevy and Ford seem to be the best (the King Ranch Ford interior is especially neat). Also, the new Ford F450 is a towing monster with the 4.88 rear, however fuel mileage will drop like a stone. Also, I'm not sure if you want a manual transmission or not, but if you do you can only get that on Ford and Dodge. Dodge is also the only one that comes with a built in exhaust brake. It's a flapper style (not a jake, which is better), but it's still a nice thing to have when you are moving a lot of weight.

All in all, my personal favorites with new trucks are the GMC Sierra with the Duramax/Allison and the Ford F450 with the heavy tow package (and King Ranch package). The GMC is quick, will tow a big load with ease, and is very comfortable and even somewhat livable for a daily driver. The Ford is just amazing in it's towing ability and is as tough as you can get in a normal style pickup. If I was looking for a 1 ton truck with a manual transmission then I would go Dodge over Ford (this is also what I would buy for a fleet truck).

With that said, you still have to try them all out and see what you like best. They're all good enough that there really isn't any reason to pick one you don't like driving over one you do.

If you have any questions on trucks let me know, I've darn near driven them all and worked on quite a few.