Hi all,

The nice Canada Post employee arrived at my front door this morning with a long parcel from S.I.R., my new Marlin Papoose .22 semi-auto.

First impressions; the rifle looks well made and assembled easily and quickly. I like the sight picture (even with old eyes) and the carrying case is good with some extra room for survival stuff.

I figured that the butt-stock was hollow and after removing 2 short stainless steel Phillips head screws found that the centre of the buttplate is removable. The cavity is about the volume of an Ritter/AMK Survival Pak but from the factory there is some folded poly foam packaging in it. I do not know if this is to add floatation or to just help reduce the hollow sound?

I am thinking about filling the buttstock with the basics of a survival kit (fire-making items, water purification, signaling whistle/mirror, cordage, small knife) and altering the buttplate to allow easier access.

This has to be a balanced addition, so as to not increase the weight of the contents of the carrying case (rifle and extras) beyond the floatation built into the case (I need to test this).

I look forward to this latest little project and if any ETS members can provide input that would be appreciated.

Mike

P.S. I hope to test fire this new Marlin rifle and a Savage 24C Campers Companion this weekend, I will post the outcome.