A headlamp is a great idea, I recently purchased the Petzl Tactikka (4 LED's plus red filter built-in) and have been impressed with it.

For 20 years I have carried a Mini-mag (LED converted for the past 3 years) and still do now. I use a Nite-ize headband for it but have not found it as good as a dedicated headlamp. The biggest difficulty I found with the Mini-Mag was the bulbs burning out at the worst times, if this happens in the black dark you need a second light to change the bulb.

I blew a bulb walking in to a deer hunting stand early one morning, I had to wait for near dawn to change the bulb as I did not have a second light. Therefore I missed the first (best) 1/2 hour of the hunt, since then I carry a mini-LED on my key ring.

I have many times held a Mini-mag in my mouth while doing a job requiring both hands, this is very hard on your teeth and you could choke on it. I have since put a Nite-ize neoprene sleeve on the Mini-mag to help with the problem (also makes it less cold in your hand) but a real headlamp is a much better solution.

Mike