Its funny, when I first started reading this thread - and before I read Doug's review - I expected the new system to be a text-entry version of the satellite telephone system - much like I can send text messages even when in the fringe of cell access.

First, I LOVE the orange color of the case. Orange is way cool.

Second, I was kind of shocked that this device has an onboard GPS. For the price that is pretty darn good.

Third, the long-term pricing seems similar. Over five years SPOT would cost $150 + $500 for five years of service, totalling $650 plus the cost of batteries. The ARC TerraFix w/ internal GPS costs $550 with a 5-year battery life.

Fourth, the PLB has the advantage of global access and a better response system. I also like that the PLB includes a short-range homing beacon, though I'm not sure how many SAR teams have the ability to use that signal. The SPOT's ability to send coordinates via e-mail is pretty slick - something that I would think would be easy for the COSPAS-SARSAT to do, BUT it would eat into what would be precious battery life if an emergency occurred.

I wonder what the consequences of someone sending a deliberately falls SPOT 911 signal would be. Probably similar to dialing 911.

Asside from concerns about the survivability of the GlobalStar system, this product sure appears to be a viable product, though it certainly doesn't have all the advantages of the COSPAS-SARSAT system. I'll still think PLB's are the way to go though.