There is a story of some Inuit suddenly trapped on a breaking iceflow seperated from their dogsleds and supplies. Survival depended on the chance of currents either pushing the flow back to shore or out to sea and death. What did the Inuit do? They went to sleep, reserving their strength. They woke up to the flow hitting the shore, using their guarded reserves of energy to recover the sleds. Ever look at the advertising for space blankets? I think the same consultants for mattress companies are responsible. sleepConversely,most illustrations for survivors are somebody huddled fetal like and bug eyed in anticipation of Bart the Bear to come charging out of the darkness into a charge dropping hit from a .22 survival rifle. We have 3 digit temps here, hardly optimal testing conditions. But I went to my cooperative butcher shop's walk in freezer today and climbed into the blizzard bag wearing smartwool, woolen pants,shirt, mittens and a balaclava. I almost died of sunstroke making the 10 minute drive blush I spent @ 20 minutes getting slightly chilled and then climbed into the bag.I was comfortable enough to fall asleep for 2 hours. I only woke up when an employee, unaware of my presence thought I was a wierd deerbag and tried to move me. shocked After he calmed down, I remained in comfort for another 3 hours. My test ended when the shop had to close.I'll report my observations in the next post.

Edited by Chris Kavanaugh (08/15/07 05:00 PM)