The bag arrived today. The unit is nicely vacuume packed in a durable, double layer of thick plastic bagging. I was about to cut it open with my knife and recalled the canadian crash where lack of knives kept needed gear inaccessable. I noticed a small slit in the packaging material highlighted in red. My nieghbor, a senior with arthritis was able to tear open the outer, and tougher bag with effort. I opened the second with a good tug. Then I read the instructions, brief but always helpfull to read first and it says " TEAR AT RED LINES TO OPEN." As an aside, if you are carefull and don't destroy the outer packaging a very tough water container can be fabricated by carefully resealing the top over fire. The bag itself is very generously sized lengthwise and my 6'2" frame will fit with full head coverage. The three layer laminate is sealed into a tube, the bottom gathered into a taper, glued and locked with a zip tie. It's not going anywhere and is very secure.Topside, there is a nice toggled drawstring of braided cord positioned on the lengthwise seal. The seal may cause a loss in insulation, not dissimilar to sleeping bags with the zipper covered by a flap. The instructions next tell you to CAREFULLY expand the bag by stretching it sideways. Well, mea culpa I again had my nieghbor help and her clenched fist tore off a palm sized layer of the outer laminate with a finger size hole fully tearing through the second and third. This did give a 'window' to constuction and revealed the horizontal, thread sized elastic and the two thick cellular construction. Next I'll climb inside.

Edited by Chris Kavanaugh (08/13/07 06:51 PM)